Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Lots of Catching Up

Well this week has definitely been an interesting one.  On Friday, I left work a little early so that I could pack myself and my husband into the car.  We headed up to Boone to see my little brother graduate college. (Congrats Sean!)  We were about to leave when my husband glanced at his Facebook feed and noticed that one of our coworkers had posted a ridiculously giddy-looking selfie, which he called his "fire at work selfie."  Complete with firetrucks in the background.

Yep, that's right.  My workplace caught on fire on Friday.  It didn't burn to the ground but there was definitely some damage.  So much so that we were told to stay home yesterday.  I was supposed to stay home today but our job isn't very good at communicating those things.

Anyway, I took advantage of the situation to start on a very long overdue commission as well as to work on a few more unfinished works.  Time to get these things rolling out!

First up is the commission I was talking about, and also a top priority at the moment.  It's going to be some promotional art for a a comic convention, also an exclusive print.  It's very far from being finished.  And I mean VERY far.  So much left to do on this one.  I think this is definitely a step in the right direction for me, since it'll be at the exclusives table at the convention, I'm sure I'll get plenty of exposure.

Pencils by Ace Continuado

I promise it'll look better than this.  I kinda wanted to give it a nightmarish sort of feeling, so I tried to make the lightning and all look like it was ripping a hole into another dimension or something like that.

I'm not sure how well the rest of the lighting is working out so far.  I'll make it work somehow.  Anything I color usually looks this disorganized before I get a better idea of what I'm going to do with it.

I'm also going to have to look up some references.  As weird as it may be for someone like me to admit, I've never watched any of these movies!  Well, except for Chucky, I've seen at least one of those.  And to think that used to terrify me as a child.

Pencils by Paulo Barrios

 This one right here, with the redhead in it, is a personal piece.  Not sure when I'll ever be done with it.  I had commissioned it for myself from another artist on DeviantArt a long time ago.  The characters are mine although I'm not sure if I like how he portrayed my main female.  I'll more than likely end up giving her a boob reduction and maybe a more covering shirt.

While I'm not offended by female video game and comic book characters wearing less clothing, I just don't personally want that for my own characters.  Especially this one in particular.  Despite the fact that I'm not entirely happy with how my main girl here was dressed, I did really like the composition of this piece.  Which is why it's getting colored anyway.  Aside from that he captured her attitude pretty well.

Last but not least I have this one, some strange tree girl... thing.  I liked the idea of nymphs in Greek mythology.  So I was thinking about it one day and came up with idea of taking a nymph and making it something other than Greek.  So here's a Japanese cherry blossom nymph.

At least that's what I think it is.  It looked better in my head I swear.  This is actually modified from my previous painting.  I didn't like it much, I plan to do better this time.  This is kind of my way of proving to myself that I am more than just a colorist.  While I'm still not very good with anatomy and the like I hope to get better through practice on pieces like these.

I kinda miffed up the tree and the flowers already I can tell.  Again this is a work in progress and it isn't completely finished.  It's more complete than the other two but rather low on the list of priorities at the moment.  I"ll finish it one of these days, perhaps it'll be another print for conventions to come.

Well that's it for today.  Hopefully by my next update I'll have the Punisher piece more or less finished.

Spark, Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment